Monday, April 20, 2009

To Boldly [totally make this up] where I have not before

So, sitting in the DMV today, preparing to renew my ID (and I have a feeling my hair is crap for the picture. Seriously: would it be too much trouble to have a mirror there?), I took up needles and yarn and began a pair of socks. Only to look at the pattern and realize a) I would totally have an overwhelmingly wrong gauge; 2) I would have to sew up a seam and no*; and u) I didn't even really like the pattern as set anyway.

Instead, I boldly cast on 78 sts on US0s and am doing a k2 p1 rib for the top of the sock. I might still do cables, if those are considered manly enough for a London playwright. But first I think I'm going to consult EZ and maybe some others to make sure I'm not just screwing myself right over.

And I've almost convinced myself that if I do 'wing' these socks, after the gloveses, I should be totally ready to do the sweater. Well. Once I do a bit more research into the whole side-to-side seamless construction used here. Let me know when you're done drooling. I understand.

So research. Actually, no. First I'm going to Jupiter for a Heff and some pizza. Because nothing says "personal day" like a 3pm beer. As Clive (among others) always says: the sun is setting over the yardarm. Somewhere.

* Especially since I now am considering a lifetime of only doing toe-up socks because I loves not having to stitch up 8 loops. A whole sock's worth? So don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment